The New Republican Tax Code:
GIVES AMERICA’S MONEY TO THEIR DONORS
Transition: So working people are paying twice what the daiquiri class is paying… and corporations are getting paid to move your job to another country… is that the worst of it? Nope.
If you learn only one thing from this speech, know this: the day they passed the new tax code, Republican politicians essentially handed almost $2 trillion to the political donor class.
Don’t listen to their propaganda, this wasn’t a middle-class tax cut, it is going almost exclusively towards the wealthy. The top 1% is getting 83% of the benefit of the entire bill, 83% of that $1.9 trillion all funneled towards the top.
Maybe you’re thinking, “Hey, that’s fine, why shouldn’t we spend trillions of dollars making rich people richer?” Um, no. Our nation’s spending should be directed towards things that serve the public, not giving money to wealthy donors in a way that helps no one but the ultra-rich. Here’s a staggeringly incomplete list of better ways we could use our nation’s money:
- Repairing the 56,000 structurally deficient bridges in the country
- Replacing the one million pipes that bring clean drinking water to millions of people across the country – many of which are almost 100 years old
- Fixing the 15,500 high-hazard dams in the US
- Shoring up the 200,000 bridges in the US that are more than 50 years old
- Upgrading the nation’s electric grids
- Fixing levees – like the ones that failed us in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina
I could go on, but I will leave you with one number: $4.5 trillion. That’s how much money the American Society of Civil Engineers said we’d need to repair America’s infrastructure needs by 2025. But hey, maybe it’s ok to have millions of people flying around the country in an aviation system that received D on its report card. Who needs to feel safe when they fly anyway, right?
NEXT: The New Republican Tax Code Gives Companies an Incentive to Move American Jobs Overseas →